March 01, 2007

MARBLED MINTY KOFTAS IN A TOMATO GRAVY



Life does tend to become monotonous at times,but blog events are such a wonderful inspiration to cook and experiment when everything else fails to excite.For the JFI potato which is being hosted by Vaishali,today I wanted to create something very exciting and new with the humble potato.This is what I came up with:Marbled koftas.Marbled,you ask?Well,read on to find out!

Ingredients:2 big potatoes(Boiled and mashed)

1 cup of peas(boiled and mashed)

1 big onion(about 3/4 cup,chopped)

5-6 medium sized tomatoes

1 clove of garlic

1 inch piece of ginger

3-4 green chillies

1 tbsp garam masala

2 tbsp mint paste(Grind mint leaves in the processor till fine)

1 teaspoon amchur

Coriander to garnish

1/4 cup Yogurt,beaten till smooth

1 tbps each cashews and raisins

Method:First,boil the potatoes and peas.Mash the potatoes along with 1/2 tsp of salt and keep aside.

Now,mix the peas with the mint paste,1/2 tsp salt, and mash ,doesn't matter whether it is a coarse mash or a fine one.

Now spread the mashed potato on a piece of waxed paper or cling wrap/plastic wrap.spread the peas paste over it evenly and sprinkle with chopped cashews and raisins.

Pick up one end of the wax paper and roll slowly.The potato will break,so don't worry.This is how it is going to get the marbled effect.Roll roughly into a thick roll,then break off small pieces and make smooth balls out if this mixture.Coat in a thin batter of cornflour and water and deep fry till golden brown.

In a deep pan,heat 2 tbsp oil and fry the chopped onions,garlic,ginger and green chillies till brown.Add chopped tomatoes, and cook till they are softened.

Cool for 5 mins,then grind into a smooth paste in the blender,adding 1 cup water.

Now put this paste into the pan again with amchur,garam masala,salt and chilli powder,if needed.

Let it come to a boil.Reduce heat and let it simmer for 10 mins.

Mix in 2 tablespoons of smooth yogurt.


In a deep dish,pour the gravy,then arrange the koftas in the gravy.Garnish with chopped coriander and yogurt and serve immediately with hot parathas.

My Notes:You can bake your koftas instead of frying,though I must admit,frying it gives it a very good taste.

Potato being the versatile vegetable it is,you can even spice this potato mixture a bit and make bondas out of it.Enjoy!We had it for dinner today and we all liked it.Ananya even had some plain koftas with sauce!

Update:It has been a long time since I contributed to VKN's FAHC cook book.So I decided to send in this one for FAHC.

22 comments:

Chandrika said...

A wonderful entry, Vini! The marbled effect is so unique!

Vini K said...

Thanks Chandrika!:)

swapna susarla said...

Hi ViniK
very interesting one.pictures are wonderfull..especially the last one..

Mythreyee said...

Amazing treats. thanks for sharing.

bee said...

those look melt in your mouth and pretty.

bee

Anonymous said...

Oh Vini! This looks like it could be a fancy restaurant dish -- only better, because it's homemade. I wish I could taste it now -- I'm saving the recipe so I can try it later :) Just beautiful!

Vini K said...

Swapna:Thank you dear!:)

Mythreyee:Thank you!

Bee:Thanks for visiting my blog!welcome here.Well,I should not be praising my own recipes,but I have to say,the koftas were literally melt in the mouth type!:D

Linda:Thank you so much for the nice compliment,dear.do try and let me know:)

FH said...

Beautiful photos friend! Potatoes look like marbles for real!! Gorgeous recipe,thank you so much.

Sangeeta said...

Hi Vini,

These are such pretty koftas :) Love them. Definitely on my "to make" list. Thanks for sharing

Bong Mom said...

Wow, what an unique idea, so very creative. Loks absolutely fab Vini
Wish I could have it for today's lunch :)

USHA said...

Hi Vini,

Great entry and excellent presentation ....

Sia said...

vini... now u r killing me softly girl....

sunita said...

Hi Vini,

My first time here. Absolutely love the dish...very tempting indeed!

Mandira said...

Vini - what a unique idea. I enjoyed the pictures and the presentation. Thanks for sharing.

Viji said...

Vini, excellent dish, nice presentation. Viji

Padmaja said...

wohhh!! vini
love u'r dish and u'r presentation as well!! very diff, will definitely try
thank you

marriedtoadesi.com said...

Vini,

I am definitely going to try this one out. I like your suggestion of baking the kofta's, as I'm always on the hunt to cut the fat! Great idea with the marbled effect, looks great with the picture of the kofta cut open!

Kanchana

Anonymous said...

What a lovely dish....definitely mint would have given a good kick to the wonderfully tasteful potatoes..liked the presentation tooo.
Sushma

Anonymous said...

Lovely Koftas..I also made koftas last week too...will be posting that soon...
I like that marbled look!

Trupti

Vini K said...

Hi Paddukoti,thank you!let me know how it turns out for you!:)

Kanchana,welcome to my blog.nice to see you here!Thank you!:)

Sushma,welcome to my blog!:)yes,the mint gives it a nice flavour.Thank you!:)

Trupti,I saw your upcoming post preview too!I can;t wait for that recipe.Thanks dear!:)

Anonymous said...

Vini,

You prepared a nice Recipe and your Presentation is EXCELLENT. The photos are colorful and pleasing.
Since potato is Indu's favorite I will make this Recipe
With Best Wishes

Sarada
Detroit

Anonymous said...

Vini, these are gorgeous! I loved how you marbled the koftas. You have two of my favorites in this dish: potatoes and mint! Yummy!