December 31, 2006

SUNNY COCONUT BUNS





I have been making these buns since the last 7 months now.I actually made it up in order to use up some dry coconut that I had,which was not enough to make anything else,plus I had some dough leftover from making buns.Anyway,these turned out great and so here it is:My entry for JFI Coconut:

Ingredients:

For Bread Dough:
200 gms All purpose flour or maida

50 gms soya flour

2 tsp Active Dry Yeast

2 tsp sugar

1/2 cup Milk,warmed

1/2 cup water,warmed

1 tsp salt

2 tbsp ghee

Some more flour to knead the dough


For the Filling:

12 teaspoons Dry Coconut/fresh coconut(Grated)

2 tsp salt

1 tsp Red chilli powder/2-3 fresh green chillies chopped finely

1/2 tsp Garam Masala powder

2 tbsp lemon juice/Juice of half a big lime(US)/juice of 3/4 indian lemon

1 Teaspoon Turmeric

A few curry leaves or 2 tsp chopped coriander leaves

Method: Prepare the bread dough: Warm both the milk and water , and sprinkle yeast on the milk.Add 2 tsp sugar .Sugar helps yeast to grow.Set it in a warm place until the mixture starts frothing.This will take about 15 mins.

Put both the flours into a mixing bowl,add salt and mix well.Make a well in the centre , and pour the yeast mixture into it,along with 2 tbsp ghee.

Mix with a fork until all the flour is incorporated.You may need to add upto 1/2 cup more of flour in order to knead it .Now dust your countertop with some flour and invert the bowl onto it.Once the flour is on the countertop,dust your hand with flour and knead the dough until it feels elastic.If the dough is too sticky,add some more flour.But take care not to add too much or else the rolls will be dense.

Coat a large bowl with oil and put the dough into it.Cover with a soft kitchen towel and keep it in a warm place to rise.It will take about 1 hour in a really warm place.


Meanwhile,prepare the filling by mixing all the ingredients.

Once the dough has risen,punch it down gently to release all the air,and divide it into 12 portions.

Oil your hands a bit and then knead each ball gently and flatten it on your palm.Now place 1 tsp of the filling on the flattened ball and close it completely.Prepare all the balls in a similar way and then place them on an oiled bun tray or a baking sheet.

Cover with a tea towel and let rise again in a warm place.This takes about 20 mins.

Meanwhile,preheat the oven to 400F/200c.Once the buns are risen,bake them in the preheated oven for about 15 mins.As soon as they come out,brush the tops with some butter or ghee(Clarified butter).Let cool.

These taste great with a hot cup of tea.I have taken these buns on our trip to the zoo,museums, and what not.

My Notes:I made these without the soya flour this time as I ran out of soya flour.They came out great and we finished off atleast 6 soon as it came out of the oven!


20 comments:

Ashwini said...

Those sunny buns would brighten up anyone's day. Thanks for participating in JFI. Happy new year

Vini K said...

Wow,Ashwini,I only just finished mailing you after finishing posting this one and you already posted your comment!!Thanks dear..Have a happy new year with your family!

TNL said...

Wow, those look so beautiful and I love the name...so perfect for it.

Happy New year!
Trupti

indosungod said...

Vini the Coconut buns look amazing. I have only seen and tasted buns with sweet coconut filling, this savory one is something new and would love to taste one.

swapna susarla said...

hai vini
buns are looking great really....
just i want to make it and i dragged into ur blog to see whether u placed it or not.....thanks for keeping them at the right time..(for me..:-)))...

swapna susarla said...

hai vini its me..again..
the link u have given there for the dough...is not working..please check it once...thanku...

Anonymous said...

Wishing peace, health, and happiness in 2007 and always. Happy New year to you and your family !

Vini K said...

Hi Trupti,Thanks dear.try making them when you have the time.Your little guys will love it.

Hi ISG,Thank you dear.So,shall I mail you some to taste?:))

Hi Swapna,Thank you for pointing out about the link,my dear.I tried to put the link and it did not work somehow,so I have again cpoied and pasted the bread dough recipe from the original Carrot-potato rolls that I posted some time ago.Now that you have the complete recipe,when are you going to make them?:))

Hi Priya,thank you dear.Wish you the same too!I can't link to your page from here,so could you provide your page link too the next time?I have heard of your blog but can't seem to remember the URL.Sorry:)Best wishes to you and your family for a Happy and Prosperous New Year 2007!

Anonymous said...

That looks yum!!!!! and so glowing :) Great recipe vini :)

www.mykhazanaofrecipes.wordpress.com

archana said...

Looks perfect, thank you for sharing. Wish you a VERY HAPPY NEW YEAR.

Bong Mom said...

Lovely buns and that too with soya flour ? Wow great
Happy New Year to you, Ananya and the hubby
Looking forward to more of your recipes in the New Year
On another note liked reading your meme

Seema Bhat said...

Vini:
you coconut buns look perfect buddy!!You even make the buns at home? They look so perfect.Ma i so much wanna make them...And soya flour i guess i will leave that as well since i dont have it at home.
Thank you so much
Happy NEw year Vini
Seema

Vini K said...

Hey Coffee/Rooma,thanks dear.

Hi Archana,thank you so much,dear.

Hi Sandeepa,thank you so much.Soya flour makes it a little more healthy but you could just use plain flour in place of soya flour if you donot have any.Soya flour actually gives a sweetish taste to breads.I have decided to be more regular in blogging in the new year.Lets hope I can keep it up!


Hey Seema,yep you can always leave the soya flour out and use plain flour in its place.So,how shall I send the buns to you,by fedex?or even superfast courier service maybe?:))

Nidhi said...

What a wonderful entry for JFI Coconut. You really did a good job Vini...they don't even look like home-made. I am so impressed and will definitely try them.

Thanks a lot for sharing.

Nidhi.

Dr. Soumya Bhat said...

Hey i have never seen such a good creation.I love the way they look will surely try them and let you know.Thanks for sharing

MeenaArun said...

hi, today i made ur buns,it came very well and my daughter liked it very much

meenaarun

Vini K said...

Hi Nidhi,thank you so much dear.

Hi Soumya,thank you.do try them and let me know.

Hi Meena Arun,Nice to see you here.Welcome to my blog.I tried to see your blog but it is in tamil and I cannot read/write tamil,being from Andhra,I am glad you liked my buns though.

Anonymous said...

Hi vini

i tried these buns yesterday, they turned fabulous. Though i did not have success previously when i tried with whole wheat flour. Have you tried with whole wheat flour?
thanks
Roopa

sudha said...

Hi ,I tried to make these as u wrote but was very disappointed they came out very dry,not at all soft,can u tell me what went wrong?

Vini K said...

Hello Sudha,please write to me at my mail id.You can find that if you go to my profile.I looked for your mail id so I could reply but your blogger profile is not available.Please write to me in detail how you made the buns and what yeast you used.I will be able to help you then.Goodluck:)